Priceline Hotel: 3* Los Angeles (Santa Monica-Marina Del Rey) Courtyard MDR

darkly
By darkly,
in

Hi. I've been attempting to secure 4 nights in downtown LA from Jan 5 to 9, 2011. (There's a conference going on at the convention center, so it won't be easy). I've tried bidding for 4* up to $108 for the past couple of weeks (using the PRICELINE link here of course) and have gotten nowhere. There are 3 rebid zones for 4* downtown, and 2 for 3.5*. Since parking is typically about $30 at these properties, I'm trying to do without a car for those days, so I'd prefer to look downtown only. Naturally, I've made a refundable booking for those dates, just in case.

Am I bidding too early? Should I already be trying 3.5*s? The Westin is usually good for 4* PL in this area (since it's so huge) but it's not budging yet. Should I be trying to split my dates? I'd be willing to go up to about $105 plus fees. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Expedia has the O Hotel on sale for $139/nite for your dates and it appears to be refundable up until a day or two before your arrival date (always double check the cancellation terms yourself)... would this work for your needs (and at least enable you to lower your back-up rate from $179/nite)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or our Expedia link if you book the property above)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I won't defend any resort fee (as my stance has always been that mandatory fees should be included in the room rate for an apples-to-apples comparison) but at least the O Hotel includes breakfast and internet in their resort fee, which if purchased ala carte would likely cost more than $12/day.

Given the conference, tight demand for these dates (HOTWIRE shows NO opaque listings in this zone for your dates), and the price of your back-up, i'd consider increasing your maximum bid to $125 and/or lowering to 3.5*.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated on your progress and/or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update: Per your suggestion, the uphill battle continues. I've been bidding up to $110 every 3 days or so, using the PRICELINE link, in both the 4* and 3.5* zones, yet nothing has come up yet. I'll book a refundable just in case, but would love to avoid paying $900 for 4 nights. Still, it's possible I'm too early and the hotels aren't getting worried just yet. I was going to book the Omni or the Westin as a backup. Should I have a preference?

Assuming the prices are the same, i'd go with the Omni which tends to have better reviews and can often get free internet thru their loyalty program.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding... good luck and please continue to keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help.

• 1 month later...

Still no dice on these dates for downtown, and I've been bidding up to $110 in that zone for both 3.5* and 4* for over a month now.

As of this morning it seems all the 3.5* and 4* hotels are now all fully booked for those dates. Even hotwire is showing $140 for downtown, so I seem to be out of luck on this one. I ended up keeping my reservation for the first two nights at full rate and then tried a last-ditch priceline bid on the final two nights trying several different zones, and I finally ended up with the following:

3* Courtyard by Marriott Marina Del Rey, Jan 7-9, 2011, $80/night.

Not my favourite area of town, but definitely a decent price for this property, and rare free parking, of course. Bids (over the past month) were placed using the PRICELINE link, of course. Thanks again, as always, for your assistance.

Congratulations on your (partial) success!

Glad to see you had a back-up that you were able to fall back upon, and that at least PRICELINE came thru for you for the last 2 nites of your trip.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay(s).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]