Priceline Hotel: 4* LA-San Fernando (Burbank-Universal-Glendale) Hilton Glendale

jbbadboy
By jbbadboy,
in

I'm a first time poster but a previous lurker as well, thinking about taking the plunge and using PRICELINE for a couple of hotel stays. Of course, I'm hesitant because I want to make sure I have the process correct.

I'm looking to stay in Glendale (the Glendale Hilton would be perfect!) on August 26th-29th (4 nights) and then again from September 2nd to 5th (3 nights). Now, based on reading on this site and the forums it looks to me like there are possibly three 4-star hotels in this area: the Glendale Hilton, the Hotel Amarano and the Sheraton Universal Studios. (Conversely, Priceline lists only 2 right: HERE).

Of the six areas available on the PRICELINE map to bid on, only the Burbank-Universal City-Glendale area lists a 4-star hotel available. From my understanding I would submit a bid on a 4-star hotel in the Burbank-Universal City-Glendale area and, if rejected, I can subsequently add any of the other locations and re-bid while not changing my desired hotel star rating, knowing that there aren't any 4-star hotels available in those other locations and a successful bid would only be from one of the three 4-star hotels in my desired location. Is this correct?

Looking forward to your expert advice. Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers!

I'm looking to stay in Glendale (the Glendale Hilton would be perfect!) on August 26th-29th (4 nights) and then again from September 2nd to 5th (3 nights).
Please use only one stay per thread. We'll use this thread for your first stay , 8/26-8/29, once you decide if you're going to move forward with PRICELINE feel free to start a NEW TOPIC for your second stay.
Now, based on reading on this site and the forums it looks to me like there are possibly three 4-star hotels in this area: the Glendale Hilton, the Hotel Amarano and the Sheraton Universal Studios.
Only the Hilton has been reported to the board at the 4* level... if you're using the 'retail' listings to determine what you'll get when bidding, you can't do that, as each side of their system uses a different universe of hotels. However, note that the Priceline Hotel List only contains hotels reported to the board... there could always be others not yet known (and you could be the first to report it to the board) or a hotel previously reported could have been upgraded/downgraded and we don't yet know about it.
I can subsequently add any of the other locations and re-bid while not changing my desired hotel star rating, knowing that there aren't any 4-star hotels available in those other locations and a successful bid would only be from one of the three 4-star hotels in my desired location. Is this correct?
Yes, this is correct, at the moment... but as star ratings can change, and new hotels added to the system, you need to use the techniques in Priceline Re-Bidding Explained to check this before starting every bidding cycle.

If you decide to move forward and would like help with a bidding strategy let us know your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply and the offer to help.

Whenever I visit LA I choose Glendale because of it's proximity to family. I've only ever stayed at a hotel in the Choice hotels chain since I really only need a bed and shower and sink. However, I have been curious about Priceline for quite some time, especially after seeing some of the wins on this forum.

In terms of maximum bid I'm not 100% sure. I figure something around the same price that I would've paid for my usual "Choice", say in the $100/night mark. I'm skeptical that a 4* hotel can be had for that low a price but my curiosity has been piqued because of how others have "won".

If you believe there is a chance for a couple of wins here and should you have a couple of minutes I'd appreciate reading what your strategy would be. If not, then thanks for your time and reply anyway.

Thanks again!

As noted above, at the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 4* Burbank-Universal City-Glendale...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Burbank-Universal City-Glendale and re-bid zone5...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wow! Thank you very much for the detailed reply!

Armed with your plan I decided to take the PRICELINE plunge and have a go at the two weekends I'm interested in. My first attempt at $65 from Thursday through Sunday was accepted right from the start, and at the Hilton Los Angeles North/Glendale that I wanted to be booked at no less!

I decided to attempt my second PRICELINE transaction right afterward with the same plan but for the next weekend. I worked my way up to $90 being rejected at each attempt but then I received a message advising that I should increase my bid to $105. Does that mean that had I entered $105 my bid would've been accepted? I wasn't sure. Anyway, I decided against doing that and staying the course of your plan, partly out of curiosity and partly because I still have time to try again for that part of my trip. I wonder if I should go with $105 instead of $100 on my last attempt tomorrow night.

Let me know if a PRICELINE "counter offer" like I received tonight is usually accepted. Also, if you need me to open a new post for this win and another for my (hopefully tomorrow night's) next win please advise.

Thanks again for your help!

jbbadboy

Thank you for sharing your result with the board!

Enjoy your stay.

Does that mean that had I entered $105 my bid would've been accepted?
Most of the times will you hit with with an offer like that. But occasionally you get turned down also.

Yes, please start a new topic for your September stay. And like you say, start low and work your way up. You have plenty of time to beat this offer.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links to start future purchases.

Yellowdog.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]