Priceline Hotel: 4* LA-San Fernando Valley (Burbank-Universal City-Glendale) Hilton

wantametzia
By wantametzia,
in

Read about $50 bid wins at 3* Residence Inn in Beverly Hills...have bid $61 so far and read about $42 wins for Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach...bid $44 so far. No preference, but it seems Manhattan Beach location has pool and free parking whereas Beverly Hills charges $22 and no pool. I placed the bids today and tried closing browser and Priceline came back stating I placed a duplicate bid even through your site. It seems most bidders at 3* win the Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach but in Beverly Hills it is up for grabs.

I'll start with a reminder that you're not bidding on a specific hotel, but rather a 3* (or higher) hotel in each of the zones you select. While there may not be many 3* hotels reported to the board in each zone, there could be others not yet reported, or your could be upgraded a higher rated hotel.

You can't get around the 24 hour lock out rule simply by closing the browser... you do need to add a re-bid zone (if available) in order to bid again inside of 24 hours. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please see this thread: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zone with the board before bidding again (HINT: at the 3* level you have ONE re-bid zone) If you read the previous thread and are confused, just post back and we'll break it down further for you.

If you let us know your maximum bid at the 3* level in each zone we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, that's actually you're minimum star rating... we're asking your maximum bid price so we don't suggest a strategy which goes higher than you're willing to spend.

Did you figure out your ONE re-bid zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My maximum level is 3*.
Well, that's actually you're minimum star rating...
My maximum star level is 3*.

To confirm... you can't select a maximum star rating... only a minimum star star rating. PRICELINE will always try to upgrade you to the highest star level which would accept your maximum bid. So if you're trying to avoid a hotel rated higher than 3* due to parking charges, internet, breakfast, etc there is no way to avoid an upgrade. Are you wiling to accept any 3* hotel or higher?

If given the choice would you prefer a hotel in the Manhattan Beach zone for $50 or a Beverly Hills hotel for $65??

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

There have been wins at the Crowne Plaza below $50 so an upgrade is not something you're going to be able to avoid, if the price of the Crowne Plaza is lower than the current 3* offerings in this zone... should you win at $50 or under, is this a risk you're willing to accept? (ie- at $50 would you still be happy with the Crowne Plaza should that be the hotel you receive)

I can accept the Crown Plaza but what are your thoughts on the Beverly Hills 3* zone?
I'm not sure what you're asking me here.

To suggest a bidding strategy for you to follow we need to your preference (ie- of a hotel in the Manhattan Beach zone at $50 vs. a hotel in the Beverly Hills zone at $65) so that we know what to try for first.

From your posted bid history it's already been more than 24 hours since your last bid and you can try again now.

If you've bid again in the last 24 hours how high did you bid in MB-RB zone? How high did you bid in BH-WH?

3* wins in Manhattan-Redondo zone usually don't happen until a week or so before travel dates. No firm rules but that's what we usually see. If you win something in MB-RB zone this far ahead it will likely be an upgrade to 3.5*.

Once again, which would you prefer: a 3* in MB-RB for $50 (with likely upgrade to 3.5*) or a 3* in BH-WH for $65?

From your posted bid history it's already been more than 24 hours since your last bid and you can try again now.

If you've bid again in the last 24 hours how high did you bid in MB-RB zone? How high did you bid in BH-WH?

3* wins in Manhattan-Redondo zone usually don't happen until a week or so before travel dates. No firm rules but that's what we usually see. If you win something in MB-RB zone this far ahead it will likely be an upgrade to 3.5*.

Once again, which would you prefer: a 3* in MB-RB for $50 (with likely upgrade to 3.5*) or a 3* in BH-WH for $65?

Actually about 4 hours to go on a rebid...3* for Manhattan/Redondo would be preferable. I guess you are suggesting that I wait about a week or two before I rebid. I am looking for 2 rooms for four days...would I be better off breaking up the amount of the days???

If you want to improve your chances of winning the Manhattan Beach Residence Inn my suggestion is to wait until a week before your stay to bid again. But you can wait until a week before and STILL get upgraded to 3.5*.

I don't think breaking up your stay will help you win the MB ResInn now, if that's your primary objective.

On June 11 you wrote that you'd bid to $44 for 3* in MB-RB. How high did you bid yesterday?

Do you specifically want Residence Inn or are you just looking for a decent hotel with free parking and possibly breakfast? If it's #2 you might try bidding for a 2.5* in Redondo-Manhattan. That would open you up to three more possible hotels--Best Western, Hawthorne Suites, and Springhill Suites.

I'm a fan of MB Res Inn myself and I've targeted it several times mostly for the amenities---basically a suite with free everything. But it is an older Res Inn now...I'll guess 25-30 years old...and it's showing its age some.

Once last year I couldn't get 3* or 2.5* accepted in MB-RB. I tried 2* for first time and won 2* TownePlace Suites MB---also a Marriott suite property, but more compact suites than ResInn---and in some ways the 2* was nicer than the 3* Res Inn. Mostly the difference between an almost new hotel and a ~30 year old hotel---even if the ResInn Suites do have more square footage. I'm still happy to win the Res Inn, but it's not the ONLY viable choice in town.

While the upgrade to 3.5* Crowne Plaza (usually) means an unwanted parking charge (I think $20?) the Crowne Plaza is also a waterfront location, a good area for walking and boat watching. The Res Inn and others are inland and on busy streets, mostly. Some think winning the Crowne Plaza for $45 or even $55 or $65 is a great deal even with parking charge because it means a more scenic setting, in house room service, etc that the lower rated hotels don't have. It just depends what you're looking for.

If you want to try for 2.5* maybe $40/$45 with free rebid Lawndale. Or wait for 3*?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]