Priceline Hotel: 4* Los Angeles Downtown Hotel

westonian
By westonian,
in

Hello everyone. I am completely new to the world of Priceline, yet I have been doing my research and like the results I see. I am visiting LA for the first time, for vacation, 8/10-8/18, and figured I should look into bidding in the Redondo-Manhattan Beach area, or, Santa Monica-Marina del Rey area. I am looking for at least a 3-star. My preferred budget is anywhere from $45-70/night, with a preference toward the lower end, as I realize some hotels have outrageous parking fees in this area. If anyone has any tips/suggestions for bidding for a decent hotel in my price range, from 8/10-8/18, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, when it comes to vacation, does anyone prefer any particular beach over the other? I realize the Manhattan beach area would be less expensive. Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding, westonian.

Santa Monica-MDR zone is usually more expensive than Manhattan-Redondo, and I doubt $70 will be enough for a 3* in SM-MDR, especially for an eight night stay in August. Any interest in splitting this--- like 4 nights in Manhattan/Redondo and 4 nights in SM/MDR? Or do you want eight nights at one hotel?

Also, if you could have a 3.5* for $70 or a 3* for $50 which would you prefer?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for your purchases.

Thanks for the reply! You know, I hadn't really thought about splitting up my stay between two hotels (I figured it'd be easier and more convenient to stay in one place), but now that you mention it, that might not be a bad idea. Is it easier to get bids approved for shorter lengths of stay?

As far as which I would choose -- my first instinct is to go for the 3* at $50. If I were to split up my stays between two hotels, I would say both.

Also, while Colfax mentions a 3* in SM-MDR might not be realistic, if this zone is acceptable, you could still use it in order to gain more bidding opportunities in a bidding cycle, which would be helpful since you only have one re-bid zone available when bidding 3* in this Los Angeles area.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed (SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, try for all in one hotel, etc) and for what star ratings first and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

While I wouldn't rule out the idea of splitting between two hotels, I would probably try my hardest to bid for just one hotel at first.

I would probably try between a 3* and 3.5* between the two locations.

I could probably increase my maximum budget to $80/night, as well. Thanks for your help!

Ultimately I think you're going to have to split this eight night stay, but let's give the eight nighter a try.

Here's my suggestion:

Bid $45/3* in Manhattan-Redondo.

Add Lawndale (free rebid zone) and bid $50.

If rejected close browser, re-enter Priceline, and...

Bid $60/3* in Santa Monica-MDR.

Add Lawndale and bid $70.

If rejected close browser, re-enter Priceline, and...

Bid $55/3* in Manhattan-Redondo + Santa Monica-MDR

Add Lawndale and bid $60.

Please start each new series of bids with this PRICELINE link.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

p.s. Ratings can change at any time, so before every bidding session you should verify on your own that Lawndale still only goes to 2*, and therefore is safe to add to your 3* bids in other zones.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having somewhat of a change of plans for my trip this coming August. I've done my research and found that nicer 4* hotels can be obtained from Priceline in the Downtown area for much less than regular room rates (on other sites). Again, I realize that bidding for an 8-night stay will be quite a challenge. With this in mind, I am willing to spend the next couple months bidding for a nice hotel in this area. I have just a few questions:

Which 4* hotel is most obtained in the downtown LA area, and For what bid rates, usually?

I definitely had my eye on the Westin Bonaventure hotel, and it seems like many others have gotten it for around $70-80/night. A little higher than that would not be out of the question. Anyone have suggestions for getting this particular hotel?

Again, thanks for everyone's help. You've all been great.

I will definitely use the PRICELINE link from this site when I bid!

Please keep all posts in the same thread since posts are for the same dates. We will edit your thread in the end

Which 4* hotel is most obtained in the downtown LA area, and For what bid rates, usually?
Type "Los Angeles Downtown" into the Quick Search box at the very top of the page and you'll get a list of all Downtown hotels won, with bid prices.
I definitely had my eye on the Westin Bonaventure hotel, and it seems like many others have gotten it for around $70-80/night. A little higher than that would not be out of the question. Anyone have suggestions for getting this particular hotel?
Westin comes up more often than other Downtown 4* but that doesn't mean you'll get it and there's no strategy that improves your chances of getting one hotel over another on PRICELINE.

If you only want the Westin you might try HOTWIRE instead. Hotels can often be ID'ed in advance on Hotwire, from the icons. The tradeoff for greater certainty about ID is that HOTWIRE usually costs more than PRICELINE.

When you search your dates on HOTWIRE (and what are you dates?) do you find a 4* in Downtown LA? If you'll post the Hotwire icons someone will take a look and see if it looks like Westin or not.

Thanks in advance for using the board's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for your searches and purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]